ABERDEEN SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 5
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A Summary of the School Board Meeting Held on December 20, 2016
- At 5:07 p.m. President Bielski convened the regular meeting of the Aberdeen School Board in the Community Room at Aberdeen High School. Members present were Christi Boora and Erin Farrer, along with Student Representative Nadia Wirta, Superintendent Thomas Opstad and 15 patrons and staff.
- The Board approved the Consent Agenda, which included the minutes from the meeting on December 6, 2016; November payroll vouchers totaling $2,931,854.16; General Fund vouchers $672,768.38, ASB Fund vouchers totaling $24,432.96, Capital Projects Fund vouchers totaling $15,525.78 and a Private Purpose Trust Fund voucher in the amount of $255.00, and approved the addition of a STEM field trip for Miller Junior High School students to travel to the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry in Portland, Ore., on January 10, 2017.
- The Board adopted an update to Policy 2410 Graduation Requirements as required by the state Board of Education with local adjustments as recommended by the superintendent, secondary administrators and staff.
- The Board adopted an update to Policy 5010 Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action as recommended by the Washington State School Director’s Association and required for the Consolidated Program Review.
- The Board adopted an update to Policy 5011 Sexual Harassment as recommended by WSSDA and required for the Consolidated Program Review.
- Roger Rada and Glenys Hill-Rada of Northwest Leadership Associates presented a report on the search for a new superintendent, including results of the focus groups and discussion about how the focus group priorities will be used to create a recruiting brochure.
- Superintendent Opstad discussed the upcoming legislative session and shared information on budget proposals that could impact education.
- Superintendent Opstad shared information on budget and enrollment projections for the 2017-2018 budget.
- Superintendent Opstad shared a draft of the 2017-2018 academic calendar.
- Superintendent Opstad reported that he, Director Jamie Walsh and Finance Director Elyssa Louderback met with Al Gozart of Harbor Architects to discuss probable costs of putting together an RFP for the Stewart Field grandstands. More information will be coming to the Board in January.
- Following a presentation by Teaching and Learning Director Judy Holliday, the Board approved the purchase of updated math materials for grades 9-12.
- Superintendent Opstad presented the Fiscal Status Report for November.
- Athletic Director Aaron Roiko provided an update on winter activities.
- Superintendent Opstad discussed a GPS tracking system for school buses that Transportation Manager Ernie Lott has been giving a trial run. Mr. Lott will be at the January 17 meeting to discuss further.
- Maintenance Supervisor Mike Pauley discussed a proposal for the purchase of compacting dumpsters at Miller Junior High School and Aberdeen High School.
- The Board reviewed a new policy, 3205 Sexual Harassment of Students Prohibited, for first reading.
- The next regular meeting of the Board is set for 5 p.m. Tuesday, January 17, 2016, in the Community Room at Aberdeen High School. .
- Following an executive session, the Board approved personnel matters.
- Following a discussion about recruiting timelines and teacher shortages, the Board authorized Human Resources to pay $2,000 to teachers who notify the District of their plans to retire on or before January 27, 2017.