About Our School
“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
― Dr. Seuss
Our school was built and finished on January 26, 1914. In the new school 141 students enrolled. It was called Samuel Benn School, after Aberdeen's oldest pioneer. In 1917 the name of the school was changed to A. J. West School after another pioneer of Aberdeen, Arnold J. West.
In 1953 the building that is used now for first, second, third, and fourth grade was finished. The two buildings were remodeled in 1995. They remodeled the classrooms, gymnasium, office and halls. Carpet was added, TVs, lockers, and phones were put in, and the library was made much bigger. We think it looks wonderful.
Now A. J. West has about 432 students --preschool through sixth grade. Our year-around school calendar is different than other schools in Aberdeen. We start in the middle of August and go till the end of June. We like having intersessions during the school year.
Extra activities after school include basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, computer club, art clubs and special classes during the year like cheerleading, soccer, and holiday classes. The fifth and sixth graders run a school-to-work program so they have their own businesses in the school.